Reptiles of Peru
Peru has around 300 species of reptiles of which around 100 are endemic. Peru's reptile fauna
includes spectacular species like giant anacondas and caimans, as well as many other snakes,
lizards and turtles.
Spectacled Caiman - Caiman crocodilus
- American Crocodile
- Crocodylus acutus
- Black Caiman
- Melanosuchus niger
- Spectacled (White) Caiman - Caiman crocodilus
- Smooth-fronted Caiman (Schneider's Dwarf Caiman) - Paleosuchus trigonatus
- (Cuvier's) Dwarf Caiman - Paleosuchus palpebrosus
Green Anaconda - Eunectes murinus
Turtles and Tortoises
- Green Turtle - Chelonia mydas
- Loggerhead Turtle - Caretta caretta
- Hawksbill Turtle - Eretmochelys imbricata
- Leatherback Turtle - Dermochelys coriacea
- Olive Ridley Turtle - Lepidochelys olivacea
- Amazon Matamata - Chelus fimbriatus
Turtle (South American Flat-headed)- Platemys platycephala
- Lesser Toad-headed Turtle - Phrynops gibbus
- Greater Toad-headed Turtle - Phrynops raniceps
- Geoffroy's Side-necked Turtle - Phrynops geoffroanus
- Red Toad-headed Turtle - Phrynops rufipes
- Big-Headed River Turtle - Peltocephalus dumerilianus
- Yellow-spotted Side-necked Turtle (Taricaya)- Podocnemis unifilis
- Giant Amazonian (South American) River Turtle - Podocnemis expansa
River Turtle - Podocnemis sextuberculata
- Scorpion Mud Turtle - Kinosternon scorpiodes
Mud Turtle - Kinosternon leucostomum
- Yellow-footed Tortoise - Geochelone denticulata
- Red-footed Tortoise - Geochelone carbonaria
Spiny Whorltail Iguana - Stenocercus crassicaudatus
Common at Machu Picchu
A list of lizards found in Peru is on this page.
A list of snakes found in Peru is on this page.
- List of reptile and amphibian species for Peru, by herpbreeder.dk
- Herps of Manu National Park, by K. Svara and J.C. Chaparro. Photographs of lizards and snakes.
- Road Cruising in the Amazon by Matt Russell, Reptiles magazine, March 2001. Good photographs of snakes.
- Aquatic Turtles of the Upper Amazon, Iquitos, Peru by Matt Russell.
- A Checklist With Common Names Of The Reptiles Of The Peruvian Lower Amazon by William W. Lamar, 1998.
- Amphibian & Reptile Species Of San Martin, North East Peru by Rainer Schulte, 1999.